Hersonissos, the most famous resort of Crete
The Port of Hersonissos is famous for its nightlife as there are many bars, restaurants, and taverns next to the beach. The visitors to the area of Hersonissos will find a large number of shops with jewels, furs, clothing etc. and of course many places to rent cars or bikes.
Daily cruises are also organized by various travel agents, to the neighboring island of Dia and many other small islets and beaches in the area, also you can find not so far, many swimming pools and water parks, ones from the biggest in Europe
The village of Old Hersonisos, located within a small distance to the south was built due to the fear of the pirates, that forced the inhabitants of the village to move in the inland.
Near Old Hersonissos there are two picturesque small villages, Piskopiano and Koutouloufari, overlooking the busy resort Port Hersonissos.
Emergency care and treatment is handled through the adequate network of private owned medical centers , and the net of public Hospitals 28 km away in Heraklion.(PE.PA.G.N.I. and Venizelion). Transport is fully operational through a new intercity road,with Taxi and buses.
History & Sights
In the site that the harbor of Port Hersonissos is built today, there was the city of ancient Hersonissos.
The Roman Port Hersonissos had wonderful marble waterfalls.The city was first built during the Minoan times but experienced great prosperity during Roman and early Byzantine period. Remnants of this period can be seen today in the area of Kastri, on a promontory where excavations have revealed an early christian basilica.
The ancient city of Port Hersonissos was irrigated by an aqueduct, ruins of which can be found today at
Kserokamares, at the village of Potamies.
Many more archaeological sites are in Malia and Heraklion.
Distances From Agrabella Hotel
- Heraklion airport 25km (25 min by taxi)
- Heraklion 25km (40 min by bus)
- Agios Nikolaos 35km (50 min by bus)
- Beach/water sports 300m (5 min walk )
- Taxi station 100m ( 2 min walk )
- Bus stop 120m ( 2 min walk )
- City center 100m ( 2 min walk )
- Football field 150m ( 3 min walk )
- Indoor Gymnasium 150m ( 3 min walk)
- Aquarium 75m ( 2 min walk )
- Convention center 900m ( 15 min walk)
- Hersonissos playground 175m ( 3 min walk )
- Star beach water park ( 20 min walk )
- Traditional towns of Old Hersonissoss ( 25 min walk )
- Piscopiano ( 12 min walk )
- Koutoulafari ( 12 min walk )
- Medical center 250m ( 5 min walk )
- Bars, restaurants, & shops 100-150m